Sunday, November 06, 2005

just talkin'...

...shit.

some people have read my profile and found "talking shit" listed as one of my interests; surprisingly to me, this caused confusion to people, even though it's not particularly unique: I'm in the company of at least 30 others on blogspot confessing to that particular diversion.

it may have been that they were just unfamiliar with the term, or it could be they had difficulty reconciling the concept of "talking shit" with the angelic icon who resides in my body.

at any rate, for the assistance of those who may look and wonder, this was my response to one specific person; it pretty much covers how I define talking shit:

Re: "interests--talking shit": that was in fact intentional, and for me, the term describes word games-- any non-focused conversation without a specific objective or goal (or subject) that sometimes teases, often quips, is frequently intellectual, but just as often is not, is playfully competitive, and always witty, almost *requires* flippancy, and at its best, engages two or more highly intelligent people in verbal sparring that challenges all involved. *NOT* to be confused with scatology or conversations stemming from that particular obsession, though one can easily see how said confusion could occur.
Now, that said, I'm glad you asked for a definition: no one has ever done so before, as in real life, the term is usually applied in the past tense: e.g., "So what were you doing with *them*?" "Oh, Mary responded coyly, "we were just talking shit." The person asking has usually overheard some of the conversation, and knows *just* what you mean....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home