Saturday, November 05, 2005

Can you deliver?

People ask the most unexpected things of me: this may be 'cause I've shown myself to be the possessor of the most unexpected things. Pulling a rabbit, a video tribute, the queen's seal and sealing wax or a fluffy pillow out of my Monty Hallesque bag of tricks on a regular basis may give folks the impression that I can be asked anything, and simply deliver.


Well this week, the request was for a new and different way of presenting a Jacques Derrida style of deconstruction of a story I'd never read. "I know you're very creative. And could you have that ready before my next class, please?"

Hey, the kid likes a challenge, so I ran with it.
I was really excited by the task: how to absorb a style of an unheard of (by me) theorist and employ it to discern the various levels of context/subtext of an author and book I'd never been exposed to, and then use that new knowledge to refine a presentation of the material to an audience of master level students.

So I proceeded in my usual "oracle" style: scan the records before me to get a glimpse into the nature of my beast, pray, then let the Spirit bring out of me whatever it will. At the end of my meditation, words spilled out of my mouth that caught me by surprise!

My requestor seemed really excited and pleased with my take on things--I expect feedback on her presentation next week.

So, if the question is: "Can you deliver?", then the answer must be: when I'm stepping in the faith that guides me, "always".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home